SnagIt is a screen capture and editing tool available on-campus to faculty, staff, and students that allows for computer screen capture, and creation of short video captures of on-screen work. SnagIt also includes an editor that allows for manipulation and annotation of captured images. SnagIt can help faculty, staff, and students:
Who Can Use SnagIt?
SnagIt is available for faculty, staff, and student use. Students may use SnagIt on-campus only in ITaP-managed labs. Faculty and staff have additional options for obtaining SnagIt software for use on individual workstations and at home.
Using SnagIt in Your Class
SnagIt may be utilized by faculty to create high-quality screenshots that can be added to documents, presentations, or provided as an image file alone to students. These screenshots can also be embedded into assessments.
Workstation Installation and Licensing
SnagIt is available for installation campus-wide on all Purdue-owned computers. Benefits-eligible faculty and staff may also obtain SnagIt for use on their home computers. For more information on TechSmith products (including Camtasia), please see the ITaP Licensing information page at http://www.itap.purdue.edu/shopping/software/manufacturer/techsmith.html.
Faculty and staff who do not support their own Purdue-owned computer should contact their local IT support group for on-campus installation.
Students and certain non-benefits eligible faculty and staff, while not eligible to obtain a copy of SnagIt for home computer use, are eligible to use the program on Purdue-owned computers, including the ITaP instructional labs.
To obtain SnagIt (self-supported computer and home request):
- Click here to download the request form: Camtasia and SnagIt Request Form
- Fill out and sign the form. Be sure to specify which version of the software is needed - Mac or PC.
- Return the form to ITaP Licensing in one of these ways:
- Scan and email the form to email@example.com, or
- Send the form in campus mail to the ITaP Licensing Distribution Desk, ITaP, STEW, or
- Bring the form in person to the ITaP Licensing Distribution desk in Stewart Center, Room G-31.
- Academic and Administrative IT departments requesting SnagIt for distribution on their supported computers should submit one form and specify how many licenses will be needed.
- After ITaP Licensing receives the signed form, they will generate a support ticket and email you with information on how to access and download the software. The license key will be included in the download.