The KEEO will be established through the following steps:
- Specify end-user requirements and develop ground station specifications using input from the executive committee and advisory board.
- Develop the ground receiving station bid specifications.
- Solicit the bids from companies with good track records in constructing satellite image data receiving stations.
- Select the vendor(s) to install the two ground receiving stations.
- Determine the optimal sites to install the two receiving stations and the related acquisition computer systems and networking.
- Choose the optimal connectivity routes between KEEO and key end-users.
- Install the geostationary receiving station and associated hardware and software.
- Install the tracking antenna receiving station and associated hardware and software.
- Develop and implement plan for systems management and automated data analysis on the data acquisition system.
- Vendor provided receiving station system training to co-directors and colleagues.
- Specific data product determination and utilization training for end users.
- Develop and implement plan for proper calibration of the radiometric observations, geocoding data, correcting artifacts and geometric distortions, and removing undesirable atmospheric effects.
- Explore existing remote sensing analysis software for general applications (e.g. retrieval of geophysical parameters such as vegetation indices, surface temperature, soil moisture, etc.).
- Access and test existing algorithms for retrieval.
- Multi-disciplinary curricular revision and courseware development to include real-time remote sensing applications, vulnerability assessment, disaster management and infectious disease vector habitat monitoring.
- Implement an operational ground-station for early warning and disaster mitigation.
- Demonstrate the utility of multi-national space-based resources.
- Produce a video documentary of the creation of the center for use in promotional activities.
- In consultation with end users and partners, develop data requirements for different applications. This will be incorporated in the specifications for the ground station.
- Conduct research related to discerning BMPs for protecting human settlements from natural and man-made disasters, epidemics, desertification, etc.
- Establish improved connectivity and feedback mechanisms among participating institutions.