< Back to Studio HQ
Simple, real-time question and answer for the classroom
New Feature: Polling
Instructors can now create real-time polls that students may respond to via the website, mobile apps, or SMS texting.
Creating a Poll
- To create a poll, click the "Polling" link under the gear menu inside a topic.
- Enter either multiple choice or open answer questions and click "Save Poll."
- Click the "Back to Topic" to return to your topic.
Starting a Poll
- To start a poll, click the "Start" button to the right of the poll.
- There is also a lecture display option that can be enabled by clicking the arrow icon to the right of the "Start" poll button.
Don't hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions and/or suggestions.
- Purdue Instructors — Email email@example.com to request access or a consultation. We will be happy to meet with you for a walkthrough of Hotseat and help set up your first space.
- Visit www.purdue.edu/hotseat to log in
- Log in using your Career Account username and password
- Edit your Hotseat profile information by accessing the "Edit Profile" page in the top menu page from a desktop or laptop computer:
- Phone Number is needed for submitting thoughts and votes via text message
- Important: A cell phone number must be added to your private Hotseat profile by visiting the Edit Profile before you can submit any thoughts or votes via text message.
- Show all SMS posts as anonymous? Check this option if you wish to have all your thoughts submitted via text message show up as "anonymous" in the feed.
- Twitter Name is needed for submitting thoughts using a Twitter hashtag
A space is a group in which discussions take place.
- Private spaces are controlled by set list of users through Purdue IDs (the most-used method for classes utilizing Hotseat)
- Public are accessible to all Purdue Hotseat users (typically useful for campus working groups)
- External spaces are viewable to users outside of Purdue University via Google or Facebook accounts (typically used for off-campus presentations or special events)
Topics are where the discussion and voting take place. You can have numerous topics in your space, typically one or more for each lecture or event.
- Click Add New Topic
- Add a Topic Name and provide a brief description
- Set a Start Date if desired
- Today's date is the default option
- Topics can be hidden until a future date
- Select Page Refresh Time
- Slow (30 seconds)
- Medium (15 seconds)
- Fast (5 seconds)
- Type the Maximum Post Length
- Default is 140 characters
- Typical length is around 300 characters
- Type Twitter Hashtag (needed for Twitter participation)
- Type a Twilio Code (unique texting identifier)
Anatomy of a Thought
Votes — users can vote on as many thoughts as they want, but only once on each thought.
Replies — users can reply directly to thoughts (not available via SMS texting)
Favorite — users can "favorite" thoughts for later viewing
Posting and Voting
All users that are logged in or have properly added their number or Twitter username to their profile can submit thoughts and votes to Hotseat.
- Type a thought under "What do you think?"
- The character counter updates as text is added
- Thoughts can be posted as Anonymous*
- Pictures can be attached to a thought
- Click Submit
*Anonymous thoughts are only "anonymous" to other students and are always tracked by instructors and administrators at all times.
SMS Thoughts and Votes
- Each topic has a unique texting code listed on the left-hand side
- Save Hotseat as a contact — (765) 560-4177
- In your text messaging app, type in the short code, a space, and then your message
- Hit send
- A confirmation message should arrive within a few seconds
Fresh Thoughts — organizes thoughts by newest to oldest
Hot Thoughts — organizes thoughts by most votes to least
Deep Thoughts — organizes thoughts by number of replies