Using FTP with your Purdue Home Directory
You can use any secure FTP program to connect to your Purdue home directory. Use ftp.ics.purdue.edu for the server name and log in with your Purdue career account login and password.
Secure FX, a secure FTP program, is available in all ITaP PC labs. To use Secure FX, go to the Start menu, All Programs, Standard Software, Telecommunications, Secure FX.
Purdue faculty, staff, and students can download Secure FX for free and install it on a home or office computer:
Downloading Secure FX:
- Go to http://www.itap.purdue.edu/security/download and log in with your Purdue Career Account.
- Fill out the information on the web page completely and click get products.
- Click select next to SecureFX.
- Click the Download button and save the file to a location that is easy to find, for example, your Windows Desktop.
- Check your e-mail. An e-mail will have been sent to you that will include necessary information for registering the software.
- Double-click the .exe file that you downloaded and follow the instructions to install it. You will need to cut and paste the registration information from the e-mail you received. **Please note: Where it says "Your name", do not enter your name. Cut and paste the information that appears in the "Name" section of the registration e-mail.
Using Secure FX:
- Open SecureFX.
- In the Connect window, click the New Session icon (see picture):
- From the Protocol menu, choose SFTP. Click Next.
- On the next screen, type ftp.ics.purdue.edu for the hostname and your Purdue Career Account login for username. Click Next.
- On the next screen, click Finish.
- Click Connect to connect to the FTP server.
- Type your Purdue Career Account password and click Ok.
- Files on the local computer will be listed in the "Local" window and files in your Purdue home directory will be listed in the "ftp.ics.purdue.edu" window. To move files between the computer and your Purdue home directory, drag and drop the file or folder to the desired locations.