Summer classroom tech updates include Windows 10, new lecture capture service
Classroom and computer labs were updated over the summer with the latest version of Windows and some new technology.
Updates faculty, staff and students need to be aware of include:
- Windows 10 is now the default operating system in central classrooms and in ITaP Windows computer labs. If a user experiences login delays using Windows 10, they are probably over their home directory storage quota allocation and should delete personal files to free up storage space. To see your home directory storage information, visit www.purdue.edu/apps/account/Account. Questions can be sent to email@example.com.
- Cyberlink PowerDVD was installed on all instructor computers, as Windows 10 does not have native DVD playback software.
- Classroom computers were upgraded. As part of those upgrades, new computers have a secure HP keyboard. Previously, Apple keyboards were used due to security concerns, but Apple no longer manufactures a wired keyboard.
- BoilerCast lecture capture is now powered by Kaltura instead of Echo360, allowing all lecture content to be stored in Kaltura’s MediaSpace and accessible on a course’s Blackboard page. Lecture capture requests and operation have not changed. Previously recorded lecture captures are available via Blackboard Learn or in MediaSpace.
For other questions or concerns contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Writer: Dave Stephens, technology writer, Information Technology at Purdue, 765-496-7998, email@example.com
Last updated: August 6, 2018
- Faculty and staff email moving to the cloud – what you need to know
- PAL filtering expanding campuswide
- Faculty invited to propose talks for Purdue’s 2019 Dawn or Doom conference
- Know your BoilerKey, features to help prevent, solve lockouts
- Polytechnic, ITaP team awarded NSF grant to generate framework for working with regulated data
- ITaP-led team aims to get big data from scientific instruments to computational, storage resources faster, more reliably
- ITaP Newsroom 2018