BoilerKey required for Purdue website CAS authentication, including benefits open enrollment
At 5:30 p.m. tomorrow, Tuesday, Oct. 30, all faculty, staff and students must use BoilerKey, Purdue’s version of two-factor authentication, to sign in to CAS-authenticated webpages, such as myPurdue, Blackboard, Kronos, Ariba and Concur.
Faculty and staff also will need BoilerKey to access the benefits enrollment portal, known as Benefitsfocus.
Likewise, students will need BoilerKey to be able to register for classes.
After the Oct. 30 deadline, everyone with a BoilerKey will be required to use it and those without will be unable to log in. The employee portal, Purdue’s virtual private network (VPN) and all CAS-authenticated pages will automatically require BoilerKey to create a more secure environment for university and personal data. Two-factor authentication is like a second line of defense for cybercriminals looking to scam someone out of their credentials.
BoilerKey adds an additional layer of security when logging in. It’s a step above traditional passwords, because not only must users remember something (a PIN or password), but they must also physically possess something that confirms their identity, either a smartphone with an app or a hard token, such as a key fob, both available in BoilerKey’s case.
If you already have BoilerKey, you will begin using it on CAS-authenticated pages tomorrow, Oct. 30. If you do not yet have a BoilerKey, go to purdue.edu/boilerkey to sign up today.
For BoilerKey assistance:
- GoldAnswers (https://purdue.edu/goldanswers)
- BoilerKey FAQ (https://www.purdue.edu/securepurdue/iamoServices/BoilerKeyFAQ.html)
- YouTube instructional video (https://youtu.be/WH7iPJQqL1U)
- Tech Support
- After hours support for BoilerKey is available for all campuses by phone at (765) 494-4000.
Writer: Kirsten Gibson, technology writer, Information Technology at Purdue, 765-494-8190, firstname.lastname@example.org
Last updated: October 24, 2018
- Faculty and staff email moving to the cloud – what you need to know
- PAL filtering expanding campuswide
- Faculty invited to propose talks for Purdue’s 2019 Dawn or Doom conference
- Know your BoilerKey, features to help prevent, solve lockouts
- Polytechnic, ITaP team awarded NSF grant to generate framework for working with regulated data
- ITaP-led team aims to get big data from scientific instruments to computational, storage resources faster, more reliably
- ITaP Newsroom 2018