Corporate Partners Logistics
The Purdue Pathmaker Internship Program realizes that companies have diverse ways of doing business, and may find the following information to be useful in developing the internship plan.
Purdue Research Park Office Space
Purdue Research Park of West Lafayette is home to one of the largest university-affiliated, high-tech business incubation complexes in the country. It is currently comprised of several complementary facilities totaling 364,000 square feet.
- The Purdue Research Park provides leased space to Pathmaker corporate partners for use by interns and company employees (as needed). To learn more about Purdue Research Park services and amenities, contact Paul E. Moses, Director, Purdue Research Foundation at 765.588.3462 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Purdue Research Park is opening coworking spaces and memberships will be available to companies for their interns to use.
Program Managers are full-time employees of the sponsoring corporations and not Purdue employees. This ensures that the students experience working for the sponsoring corporation, and this simply cannot be accomplished with a Purdue supervisor. They must have an understanding of the projects assigned to the students so that they can provide (or know how to access) technical assistance and guidance for the interns.
- They are aware of the particular intern hiring requirements of other managers at the corporation-such as college major or minimum GPA-and assist in identifying those students.
- They develop opportunities for interactions between corporate R&D staff and Purdue researchers
- They assist their human resources office in identifying and recruiting high performing Pathmaker students for future employment.
Interns as Management
A company may choose to hire students to function as onsite managers of interns. This has been effective when the corporate managers communicate virtually with the interns and periodic visits are made by corporate personnel to conduct training and oversight activities.
- Graduate level students may be hired to manage the undergraduate interns.
- Experienced interns are promoted and trained to perform basic management duties.
Human Resources partnership
Contract with a staffing solutions company or an employment agency for a wide range of services, which might include any or all of the below:
- Manage recruitment of students:
- Attend job fairs, reach out to advisors and professors in appropriate majors, guest lecture in classes.
- Implement referral program.
- Review resumes, interview, extend offers or rejection emails.
- Onboard activities: Agreements, tax forms, Direct Deposit forms, etc.
- Payroll facilitator:
- Timecards, prepare information for Corporate processing of payment, W2 forms.
- Firing process
- Implement Corporate process for offense.
- Purdue is a bicycle friendly campus, and implemented a bike share program in fall 2015. Information on Zagster can be found here: http://www.purdue.edu/bikes/share/index.html
- CityBus offers free rides for Purdue students with a valid Purdue photo ID. Free rides are available on all Campus Loop and regular route buses operated by CityBus throughout Lafayette and West Lafayette.
- Maps and schedules for the Greater Lafayette routes and the Campus Loops are available online at http://www.gocitybus.com/Maps-Schedules
- 5B Northwestern Route to Purdue Research Park
- Regular Routes, Saturdays