ITaP provides database hosting and administration for SQL Server, Oracle and MySQL to Purdue departments upon request. These services can be provided through a shared server environment or a dedicated server environment. The service offering includes the following:
- Installing and maintaining database management software.
- Backup and recovery measures to safeguard data.
- Monitoring and maintaining space usage within the database.
- Monitoring and maintaining availability and performance of the database.
- Provisioning and monitoring security measures within the database environment.
- Controlled production implementations through the ITaP Change Management process.
- Creating or re-creating new database instances where necessary.
- Collaborating with departments in maintaining databases where database administration (DBA) involvement is necessary.
- Assisting with database migrations through the Software Development Life Cycle.
- Creating user accounts for Databases required in Applications Systems.
Restoration of databases can be handled on a case by case basis depending on availability of the system and the type of backup being performed. Production databases have a recovery objective of within 4 hours when possible. Non-production databases have a recovery-time objective of 2 business days.
More information about the backup and recovery policy can be found here.
University departments are eligible for this service.
To request service:
There is no cost for this service if the database is located in the shared environment. If a dedicated database environment is needed, the cost includes a dedicated VM and, if a SQL server is required, the cost for a SQL license.
How to report problems or issues:
For problems of availability, monitoring or maintenance that require ITaP assistance, contact the ITaP Customer Service Center.
Database availability will be based on the individual needs of the request. Admin Availability: Standard/Business Hours: M-F, 8:00am - 5:00pm EST Extended/High Availability: 24x7 (on-call) Standard Maintenance Window: Saturday 4pm - Midnight.